Thursday, July 17, 2008

Bert Couldn't Do It!

Damn it. I couldn't do it. My intention was to go cold turkey on the Lunesta last night. I wussed out and took some. I guess I started stressing out about it around 7pm. By the time 9:30 rolled around the thought of getting zero sleep was overwhelming. So, instead of taking my usual ¾ I decided I'd ween myself off the medicine. I took only half a pill. I sort of thought my body wouldn't react. That it needed more. But it didn't. I went out pretty well. Maybe a good idea to ween? Maybe not? I've received a bunch of emails supporting both sides really.

I saw Darren, the "health coach," today. Here was his advice:
-the weening can't hurt. Might even help.
-take tryptophan and magnesium before bed
-Use only low level light the final hours of the night.
-DO NOT watch tv before going to sleep. He thinks the images and light are stimulating from some and wants to create an atmosphere of calm.
-Delegate more work to avoid stress -Make a list of the items in my life I actually have control of. He thinks seeing the amount of stuff that you DON'T have control of gives some peace of mind.
-Exercise every day
-Try and get a little sunshine every day
-More sex (Doctors orders!)

I usually take a short nap in the daytime. Around 12:30 I'll fall asleep. For five minutes. Never more than 10 minutes. My body won't let me sleep any longer or I would. But today I couldn't fall asleep. So, maybe I'll be tired tonight and will take only ¼.

It's 8pm. My eyes are tired but my body is awake, damn it. I'll check in with ya tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Bert. Congrats on trying to wean off Lunesta. I do have some comments for you though.

First: I heard you mention today that Lunesta is a narcotic. It's not. Narcotics are pain killers such as Vicodin(hydrocodone), Percocet(Oxycodone), and Morphine. These are used for pain relief and cause physical and pyschological dependence. They affect the dopamine centers of your brain.

What you are taking is a hypnotic or anxiolytic but Lunesta is more classified as a hypnotic such as ambien, Restroril and a few dozen others. Similar drugs that fall into this category are anxiety and epileptic drugs such as klonpin, valium, xanax, ativan, etc. They all pretty much do the same thing but have different chemical structures. They affect the GABA receptors in your brain. Therefore, like you said you are mentally addicted to it but your body does become physically addicted to it as well which means there are withdrawal symptoms when you stop taking it especially at higher doses for an extended period of time.

What you are doing is the right thing. Slowly shaving of a little at a time. This will minimize physical withdrawal symptoms dramatically but you still may experience some when going off completely. For example, someone goes into the doctor and says they have anxiety so they are prescribed valium to take every day. It doesn't take but a month or so to become physically dependent on them. That's why they always suggest a slow withdrawal schedule. All hypnotic and anxiety drugs always must be tapered very slowly. So you are doing the right thing there even if your shaving off once a week you should be able to go cold turkey depending on how high a dose your on within a few weeks or month.

However, there is something called rebound. When the drug is withdrawn symptoms such as insomnia and anxiety, hot flashes, etc. can be heightened and more pronounced than your original reason for taking the drug. This typically passes as your GABA centers in your brain adjust to normal levels again. So don't be suprised (and this may not happen) if you do experience a brief period of insomnia after stopping the drug. This should subside or may simply be a return of your original condition.

So once you stop completely, if your staring at the wall at night just try and hang in there if you get some insomnia for a few days or even a week-let your brain chemicals get back to normal. You are doing the right thing by tapering slowly and you might not have any problems at all. Alcohol also acts very similar to the benzodiazepenes and that's why it's not recommended to take them together and you get the same sedative effect as you would popping a valium, xanax, lunesta, or valium. Many people actually prefer xanax, valium, etc. over lunesta and ambien but I wouldn't recommened those to switch to. Just keep tapering the lunesta and you should be fine but again don't be surprised if your insomnia returns more intense than it was before or even just a little. It should pass shortly and hopefully you won't need to take it ever again. I have been on a benzodiazepam for the last 14 years every day(even though a lower dose) for chronic anxiety so I have done a lot of research. I'm no doctor but I know the meds pretty good especially in this class.

This site is the guru of information for sleeping pills, anxiety, and anti-convulsant drugs and what they do in the brain/body. Tons of information here and it should inform you on everything your going through and on the pill that your taking. Check it out and good luck.

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzcha01.htm