Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Melissa.....A Mother?

I won't have it as good as my parents. But I will do my best to achieve a big chunk of it.

Ideally children are meant to do better and have more than their parents. My parents were married for 50-years, had 3 children, and built the home I grew up in. And, once retired, they were able to live debt-free.

As a gay woman, my path isn't as smooth in regards to life's goals like marriage and children.

This came to mind after I shared with The Bert Show my decision to freeze my eggs. It was last Friday when I had my consultation with the fertility doctor about my choices. It's not that I plan on being a mother any time soon, but I want to be able to still have the choice to be a natural mother when the time comes. As a kidney transplant recipient, and a woman in my late-30's, I didn't want to take for granted that I - or my eggs - will be at optimum health in a few years if my girlfriend and I decide to start a family.

Read the rest HERE.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Ok...As a mom who has gone through the adoption process for her children, I have to step on my soap box for a quick second.

I think the term "natural mother" is kind of insulting. I consider myself as a "natural mother" (I'm definitely not an "unnatural mother"!) I think "biological" is a better term.

Sorry to be so anal, it's just one of my little peeves. I certainly don't mean any disrespect.

-jenn

Anonymous said...

First, your kids are too Cute Jenn! Second, I think every mom is anal in some way or another. My daughter is biracial and I can't stand when people call her "MIXED". She is not a dog or some other animal, nor a mut of some kind. But we just have to remember, that not everyone is aware, especially someone who is not a Mommy yet. Melissa, I left my respose to your baby-making on Melissa Times. All I am going to say is "Start making those babies!!" LOL