Tuesday, October 2, 2007

From Bert

Isn't it rare that you can actually get peace of mind about a stressful decision you've made? Are you ever quite sure you made the right decision? After I posted my blog about struggling with the decision to give up our two dogs I got this email from the family that ended up adopting them. I can't tell you the sense of relief I got when received this.

My name is (omitted) and I am writing you about Dude and Bodie. I understand that a few people have gotten in touch with you letting you know that the dogs are OK. My family has adopted Dude and Bodie and they are doing TERRIFIC!! Jason called and told me about them and our lives haven't been the same since. I was so honored that Jason thought of us when he talked to you. I hesitated getting in touch with you because I wasn't sure if it would be too painful for you. After reading your blog, it is very obvious that you love these dogs very much and that you agonized over this decision. You are not selfish because you put the dogs needs ahead of your own wants.

Dude and Bodie are doing great. Here's a little info on our family. My husband, (omit) and I are both 38. We have two boys as you do…..(omit) is 12 and (omit) is 9. We also have a 2 year old English Springer Spaniel, who was ready for a playmate, but surprised to get TWO!! I am a stay at home mom and the dogs are right with me pretty much all day. They love taking rides to pick up the boys after school. My boys are both involved in travel soccer so we are on the go just about every evening. Dude and Bodie have been to the soccer fields with us (when it is not too hot). They bark at the other dogs (it is a very dog friendly field) and as you can imagine, they draw all sorts of attention. They love to take walks in the neighborhood and again the attention. They get along great with (dog's name omitted). Dude and Casey will run around all morning. Bodie will, too, but he takes breaks!! He will get a burst of energy and then lay down under the fan on the patio. I ha ve a rope that all three can tug on and they drag each other across the yard. The boys are having a blast with them. The dogs are loving all of the attention and are exhausted at the end of the day. The way that Bodie starts snoring about a second after closing his eyes, and the way that Dude sleeps with his tongue hanging out are just a couple of ways they have stolen our hearts. My husband has always wanted a bulldog. He is a former Marine (who served in the first Gulf War) and their mascot is the bulldog. He loves their attitude and their ugly (but cute) faces. We certainly did not think we would ever get a bulldog (or two) this way, but we have definitely embraced the opportunity.

Sorry if I rambled, but I want you to be at peace with your decision. I would love to send you a picture of all of us so you can see for yourself that they are OK. I can assure you that we always love and take care of these dogs. They are full of spunk and personality and are so special.

We live about 10 minutes from Jason (
puppychase.com ) in Loganville right off Highway 78. If you are ever out this way or passing by, we would love to meet you in person.

Take care.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why did you feel you needed to get rid of the two dogs? Especially Dude when you had such a challenge to get his name Dude? I have 2 kids and I work fulltime and have 2 dogs, a cat, a hamster and some fish and I am fine. My house feels like a zoo but it's all good. I know Stacey doesn't work but I am sure her hands are full b/c I worked full time with my kids and then went through a divorce and didn't receive child support for over a year (thats another long story). But I was just wondering why?

Thank you.

Anonymous said...

That's why you shouldn't get your dog from a breeder and should adopt one from a shelter. People don't realize that one day in the future their pets might not fit into their life plans. Most unwanted pets end up at the shelter and are "put to sleep". You are lucky because you live in Georgia and had 2 bulldogs, so it was easy to find them a home. Unfortunately, there are far too many homeless animals and not enough homes for them. I remember when you got the dogs and kept talking on the radio aboout getting them from a breeder and I just cringed. No one should promote getting a dog from a breeder.

Anonymous said...

A decision to give a pet away is an agonizing one. I'm sure you thought long and hard about this.

I have no doubt that e-mail put your mind at ease. It sounds like Dude & Bodie have a great new family to love them as much as you do!

Rest assured you did the right thing, however hard it may have been. :)

Anonymous said...

Good for you for making the decision to give them to a good home. I don't know that I could do that with my 2 dogs, but then again I don't have any children yet. Good luck and again kudos for making the right decision!

AGIRL24 said...

Hi Bert,
I listen almost every morning. I too was wondering why you counldnt keep the dogs. It is good that you found them loving homes. Does Hayden miss them?