Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Melissa Attempts To Save Halloween

I may have learned it from my mother, Millie Pete, first. And then it was reinforced by my first educational experience - Granny Gayle's Pre-School. That lesson? Halloween is in October, Thanksgiving is in November, and Christmas is in December. You trick-or-treat for one, make a decorative hand turkey for another, and leave out cookies and milk for Santa at the end of the season.

But as I've grown older retailers seemed to start placing their Christmas products out on shelves and aisles earlier and earlier, to the point I see Christmas decorations as early as August!
This has inspired me to start the CAMPAIGN TO SAVE HALLOWEEN!


Read more HERE....

6 comments:

Me said...

Unfortunately Melissa - the retailers are all about GREED and people spend more money on Christmas than Halloween. The earlier they display their Christmas-filth (that is what we call it in my house), the more money people will spend. Keep up the good fight!

Anonymous said...

Halloween is by far the best holiday of the year! I always get aggravated seeing halloween rushed through, thanksgiving skipped over and christmas taking center stage for 4 months! Kudos to Melissa to bringing this issue into the mainstream.

Anonymous said...

I love Halloween! This year I'll be celebrating it as Samhain, and I love it all the more!

Please tell your friend Bert shame on him for using Wicca as a for instance of a religion that wants to take Halloween out of the schools. A Wiccan friend of mine will be decorating to the nines, going as far as using fog machines. Wiccans and other Pagans are the last people to try to take Halloween out of the schools.

Mommy This and That said...

I heard the reason this years items were coming out so early was because retailers are afraid with the price of gas and the slump the economy no one will have money left over for holiday shopping come the end of November and December. I love all three months and holidays and as long as I don't start hearing Christmas music this month...I'll be ok. Good luck with your attempt...sadly I think it will fall upon the deaf ears of the retailers.

Anonymous said...

Thank youThank youThank youThank you. Life is short enough...stop rushing it!!

You would think that with all of the Halloween stores popping up all over, that the major retailers would figure out that ..THERE IS MONEY TO BE MADE!! and they would market more SPOOKTACULAR products.

Ho Ho Hoalloween

Anonymous said...

It is great to have someone so hyped about Halloween as me!!!! It iss not just about thhe candy but about the spirit of Halloween!!!You are the greatest!!!1