Tuesday, December 4, 2007

From Jenn: I'm A Product Ho


How did this happen? I am a total product ho! Somehow through my friends' finds, free samples and endless magazine ads, it happened. Now I have embraced it... I love beauty products! Not just any random ones, but ones I MUST have. It has to be buried in my female psyche, interpreting the same message delivered to us in a gagillion forms, a gagillion times a day: "You are defined by your looks." As a women's studies minor in college and susbsequently, a self-professed new generation feminist, I should reject ALL OF THEM. I should say that it doesn't matter to me what my skin looks like, which way my hair flips, what is the perfect length of a dress on my legs... or what anyone out there thinks about them! But I do. I do care very much. While I know that it matters most what I say (especially in radio) and what I think (especially in life), it still matters to me that I present myself in a certain way. I wince to think my professors of feminist thought could ever be reading this, but here it is: The way I look matters to me. And I think most women who are being honest with themselves would agree with me. Even though it wastes too much time in preparation, too much money being a product ho and too much brain space thinking about what we are going to wear to the next event, it gives us that extra boost of confidence (contrived or real) to accomplish our goals. Now the theory that I don't subscribe to is everyone looking THE SAME. Blah. Maybe I will blog about that another day. Now I have to go deep condition. :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

there is a new type of feminism called
"lipstick feminism"
which means that the philosophy and beliefs are still in line with mainstream feminism
but still because they are women
they want to embrace their inner desire of feeling beautful with clothes, shoes, accessories, makeup, etc.

Anonymous said...

I think it's totally ok to be feminine and a feminist (even a self-proclaimed one)! You always look great, especially at 5:30am, and that just shows that you do care...and almost every woman can relate to that no matter what!

Anonymous said...

Embrace it girl, you are a beautiful woman and it's O.K.!
I am a sucker for new products even old ones in new packaging... my husband thinks I am such a sucker and well, I am! I will buy it all but at least I know if it works or not.
GO GIRL!

Anonymous said...

I have 2 teen daughters (15/16) and I also have a hard time trying to get them to balance what they look like with who they are inside. They know that what they wear makes a statement and they know that we are a society that does judge based on looks. So the more 'normal/nice' you look, the better you will be treated. Society is what it is...we all are guilty of treating people who look like they care about their appearances better than those who don't (ever try to go shopping in sweats? Not a great way to get great service!) So no guilt about taking some time to enhance your beauty! [& when age comes a knockin' always keep in mind that as long as you remember who you really are on the inside (creative, curious, funny, smart!), you will be able to finally be free of being defined by how 'doable' you are in the eyes of others---a Much More relaxing place to be]! (I know a lot of people who went through some serious periods of depression when they felt that they were noticed much less by men as if their own value were somehow defined by how sexy men perceived them!!!) It's sick when you think about it--Wish we were more of a society/culture that valued age/wisdom over youth/beauty/sex!! Best of Luck!!!

Stacy said...

Gah. I am also a feminist addicted to my home microdermabrasion kit.

Oh well. At least we're smart enough to recognize the dichotomy, right?