Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Bert's Take on Steve and Vikki

Over the past few weeks I've received some email asking how I feel about Steve and Vikki being off the air. The Bert Show addressed this once on the air. But I figure if I put it into writing then I can just address all others to this when they call or write.

My take on Steve and Vikki is the same today as it was the first day I arrived on Q100 almost seven years ago. I admire them. I respect then. And I'm jealous of them. These two had strong ratings in Atlanta for 17 years. That is UNHEARD of in the radio industry. To be able to evolve for that long and keep strong ratings is really an amazing accomplishment.

In all honesty, I think the Bert Show was a better radio product than Steve and Vikki. I'm proud of my show. But that doesn't take away from the fact that I respect the success that they have had for almost two decades. How can you NOT respect and honor that kind of longevity. I want it for myself and I want it for my team.

One night about a year ago I was having a business conversation with my friend Justin. My contract was up and I had some stations in Atlanta approach me about my future. I was sort of confused and having real loyalty issues 'cause Q100 took a BIG chance on me when they hired me. I had no previous morning show hosting experience but they had the confidence in me to allow me to pick the players on my team and create a show that was in my head. I was part of the Q10O foundation and this station is very personal to me. And Cumulus has really treated me well since they bought us. Anyway, the backdrop for my conversation with Justin was the bar at his restaurant. He said to me that in business I'm no different than one of the Hangar One bottles behind his bar. "When my customers are done drinking Hangar then I'll replace it with Grey Goose. When they aren't buying Grey Goose anymore I'll replace that bottle with Belvedere. In business if you're not the owner you're just a Vodka bottle."

HARSH, right?

There have been times in the heat of competition over the past seven years that we've had fun at Steve and Vikki's expense. But it has NEVER been personal for me. I've had, perhaps, two conversations with Steve McCoy. Vikki sent over a glass of champagne for me and my wife at a restaurant one night.

If they want it, Steve and Vikki will be on the radio again in Atlanta. And they have earned that. I sincerely hope that Vikki's health issues get better.

The truth is that some day people won't be "drinking" The Bert Show as much as they are now. And with any luck I'll be able to stay around as successfully as Steve and Vikki have.

Here audio of our conversation HERE!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a new listener to The Bert Show and I really admire what you have said here. I have been in the ATL area for 4 years now and I listened to Steve & Vikki until they signed off. I am now listening to your station and I love your show. It's awesome. Keep up the good work.

Mike said...

Well this is certainly news to me... I guess this goes to show how much I actually listened to them.

I commend your kind comments, though, as I was not a fan of them... very gentlemanly of you.

The Quintessential Glamrod said...

Wow, I had no idea. I switched to the Bert Show about a year ago (well, really, I hadn't listened to morning radio much in years, but a new morning commute forced me to), and I think your show is top notch. The chemistry, everything. It feels like hanging out with a bunch of friends...on the drive to work.

That said, it's really sad to see that Steve and Vicki are no longer. I remember my bus driver in highschool always had the Steve and Vicki show on, and Steve DJ'd my 8th grade prom. This was in 1983. He was super nice. A goofball friend of mine was *really* into Michael Jackson at the time (who wasn't, back then, though? You know you had MJ pins all over your Member's Only jackets, too!!), and wanted Steve to go on the air and say that she was MJ's future wife. Steve politely declined, with a chuckle. He was a great sport, dealing with all of us silly 13-year-olds.

I do hope they will be back on the air in Atlanta at some point in time. Although I'm a devout Bert Show fan, now, I would like to know that they are doing well. I didn't know anything about Vicki's illness, so I'm going to have to see what's up with that. I hope things turn around for her soon.

Anonymous said...

Very classy Bert...very classy indeed.

Anonymous said...

way to go!! back in the day i listened to the Steve and Vicki show then i had a 99x phase then it was back to Steve and Vicki...however i have been a loyal listener to your show since the first few months of it 7 years ago...wow does time fly...anyway, your comments here just add to the respect the listeners have to you and your whole team, you have your 'on air' jabs, after all it is competition in sorts...however, at the end of the day you can seperate the two and give credit where credit it do....so kudos to you!! and i look forward to another 7 years + as a Bert Show listener!!

Anonymous said...

Wow Bert. I am very impressed with your response about Steve and Vicki. I like that you give credit and respect where it is due. I am an Atlanta native and grew up listening to them. After I graduated from college and moved back to Atlanta I have been listening to you guys ever since your first day on the air... I think you are the new improved, generation of Steve and Vicki and have been since you started. You have a lot of faithful listeners that love your show and I consistently hear that from everyone I talk to. I listen to you guys every morning and feel confident you will be around for a LONG time! Thanks for making my mornings more enjoyable!

Anonymous said...

I think one of the charecteristics that makes you likable is that you are not afraid to be honest with yourself to others. Your comments were very well said.

I just have to say that I moved to Q100 when a friend of mine told me to listen to the music about 2 years ago. I started in the morning and all you did was talk!! Wow - I really didn't like that but continued to be reeled in by the wonderful group of people. Now I can't miss it. I have an ipod that I listen to all other times in my car but turn it off for the mornings. I look forward to your show everyday and all the members of the morning show. You have selected a great group and your chemistry is fantastic!!

Anonymous said...

After coming to Atlanta I started listening to Steve and Vickie myself. In southwest Va there is not mostly talk radio anything like it, unless you count those good-ole boys that are more foul than anything. I thought Steve and Vickie were great. After awhile though I did begin to loose interest. That is when I found the Bert show, and in my opinion there is not comparison. The Burt show is in my opinion incredible. You have so many topics and they are so well covered. I realize that one day in the future one of you 4 will decide you need a change, and I so dread that day. You guys have a team that one happens once in a life time. You will always be able to find a job, and be great, but this team is truely special and I personnaly hope it lasts forever.

Anonymous said...

I used to be an incredibly dedicated Steve and Vikki listener. However, after a while it seemed like they started to loose their touch. You guys are so much more respectful of your listeners, callers, and guests. There were times when my jaw would drop while listening to Steve and Vikki bash these people that were so dedicated to their show. My point is not to bash them now though. I do understand there had to be SOMETHING that was keeping people listening, but I think you guys are going to last so much longer because you are simply more respectful. When listening to you guys I feel like I'm sitting in a circle of friends which is what I used to feel when I listened to Steve and Vikki.

You guys are incredibly talented and if you can keep your chemistry up then this show will definitely last.

Anonymous said...

I must say that I am impressed with your comments, Bert. I listened to Steve and Vicki when I was in high school, but their conversations always sounded somewhat "forced" to me. The Bert Show has a chemistry that is rare in morning radio, not to mention refreshing. You all are hilarious (especially Jeff); you make me laugh every morning. I actually switched to satellite radio several years ago due to my long commute, but when gas prices spiked I started to drive my other vehicle (without satellite radio) and became totally hooked on the Bert Show! I listen religiously now every morning, regardless of what vehicle I drive. In fact, I bought a radio & headphones so I can even listen once I get to work. Thanks for all you do!! :)