Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Bert Answers Your Questions

Over the past few weeks I've received so many emails from you guys regarding an assortment of Q100 transactions. I thought I'd answer some of the more popular questions here with some side commentary:

Where did Jamie Massey Go?
Jamie left us to co-host on another morning show (see past blog entry). I won't spend a lot of time on this one 'cause you can scroll down and get a more lengthy response in a past blog entry. But to add Wendy Adams is doing our traffic now. She worked on Adam Bomb's Show for awhile. If she can handle the hours I think she's gonna eventually be one of the best. She's 22, a Kennesaw State student, busts her a$#@ and isn't afraid to be real on the radio. In the past year she's shed a lot of tears on the Bert Show over boy problems and her relationship with her dad.

Where did Dylan go?
For whatever reason Dylan's contract didn't get renewed by Cumulus. The truth is that these decisions are made way above my level. I do know that Dylan worked his $%# and was completely dedicated to making sure Q100 was running at its highest level. Not only was he our afternoon guy but he was the Program Director; my boss. It's one of the strongest working relationships I've ever had. Sometimes business sucks 'cause Dylan had a lot to with our success and it doesn't seem right that he can't be in the halls during our switch to the bigger signal at 99.7.

Where did Jeff Dauler go?
Just kidding. Jeff hasn't gone anywhere.

Is the station still going to be Q100
Yes. Everything is the same. Same Bert Show. Same radio station. Same radio station name. We're just moving to 99.7. Now you'll be able to hear us clearly all over Georgia. No more static. No more overlapping from that damn country station out of South Carolina.

You're still going to be called Q100 even though you're on 99?
Yes. And we're really going to need your help with this. When you tell friends about the Bert Show or Q100 PLEASE tell them we're at 99.7. My fear is that new listeners will tune into 100.5 looking for the Bert Show. Not find us then, naturally, scroll /scan up or to the right. We have to make sure we are directing them to 99.7. Management felt that the brand of Q100 was too strong to lose so they didn't go with anything like Q99 or Q99.7. Jeff and I pleaded with them to make it Q99.7. To their credit management listened to every word we had to say about it. But they decided to go with Q100. It's a good business debate actually. But, honestly, as an employee the only thing you can really ask for is to be heard. And they debated with us for hours on it. But they feel like we've done such a good job building the Q100 brand that it wouldn't be good business to change the name of the station.

99x is gone???? I hate you. I hate you. I hate you!
They are still a station!!!! You can find them at 99x.com. Now turn the car off and get out of the garage.

Will I be able to get you in Athens, now?
Yes. Here is the entire list of cities that can now receive Q100 clearly: http://allthehitsq100.com/bertshow/bertfeature.asp?id=13390. My only focus now is to be the most listened to morning show in Homer, Georgia!

Where is the station located now?
Same place. 780 Johnson Ferry Road.

What is the new phone number for Q100?
As of this writing I just don't know. I'll update this next week.

What's the big deal about having 100,000 watts?
I wrote a blog about this a few days ago. Scroll down.

What are they doing with 100.5?
I could tell you but my Chief Operating Officer, John Dickey, would hire a van to come to a come to a screetching halt in front of me while I'm in the station parking lot, throw me in the back, tie and gag me and you'd never hear from me ever again. You'll know on January 28th. There is a rumor going around that the new morning show will consist of Steve McCoy, Vikki Locke, Fred Toucher, Steve Barnes, Clark Howard, Southside Steve and Captain Herb Emory. Honestly, I don't see how Captain Herb can possibly part of this 'cause I know he's under contract.

Back to John Dickey. If the ratings don't go up significantly with this signal upgrade please have the police begin to investigate John Dickey first when I go missing. Here is a link to the man I believe will have me unwillingly relocated if The Bert Show is not successful: http://www.corporate-ir.net/ireye/ir_site.zhtml?ticker=CMLS&script=120&layout=-6&item_id=76435

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the inside scoop Bert. It helps to have all the answers available to us. Now you just need to tell us what drugs Stacey was on while in studio yesterday and if you let her drive Hollis home under the influence. ;)

Anonymous said...

What a great business debate that is Q99.7 vs Q100...on one hand you have new people moving to Atlanta every day, so they'd be none the wiser that you were ever Q100. But then how do you get all your current loyal listeners used to the switch? I can see both sides of the argument and think both sides have valid points. There is a lot to be said for a good branding. That's the risk you take moving to a new station I guess. The other point is that all those towns that couldn't get you before, they won't know about 100.5 either b/c they cant' get it. So... Ha. I can definitely see how this debate could go on for hours.

Anonymous said...

First of all Congratulations!! the bert show is the BEST show in atlanta for all radio stations of any varity.

i was a loyal 99x listener for years, especially to the morning show and then the Bert Show came along and about the same time 99x started to slip and you started to gain. it was inevideable as you said cumulus tried to fix it but to no avial. its sad that 99x is gone. i have to admitt i like the music more that whats on q100 but the Bert Show rules!!

one last note everyone says that 99x is on the internet but i've tried the last week and get nothing what's up with that?

keep up the good work!!

Sarah Freeman said...

Well, I can let you know that in Homer, GA 99.7 is picking up wonderfully!! I am so glad to finally get you in my neck of the woods! I was a loyal listener to the Bert Show and then I moved to Gainesville due to getting married and moving closer to my family. It SUCKED having the country station breaking in. THANK YOU!!!! :)